VOLUNTEER for a Walk in the Park: we have been providing meals to the homeless and needy for 22 years. We are currently serving at Santa Rita Park (East end), 22nd St. & 4th Ave.
We have just found out that the Parks & Rec. has limited our time to 2 hours! So here is our new schedule: Come at 8:30 to set up. Message will be at 10 and lunch will be at 10:45 as we need to let another organization set up at 11:30! Watch closely next month as we will probably be serving in a new location.
We serve a hot meal, have a ministry of worship and the Word–including prayer–as well as provide clothing, personal hygiene items, and non-perishable food-to-go. We invite a variety of speakers to present on topics that will help and inform our guests of the many services available to them. Parking is FREE. If necessary we may use the porta potties of the Vets at Camp Bravo, just north of Santa Rita Park.
WE ASK OUR VOLUNTEERS TO BRING NON-PERISHABLE FOOD FOR OUR GUESTS TO PUT IN THEIR BACK-PACKS.
A huge need in our community, especially for the homeless, is for affordable transportation. Unfortunately, the costs of low income bus passes has soared–from $18 per month to $22.50. We have been blessing approximately 10 homeless or ex-homeless folks with monthly passes. We are now unable to continue this program. I am suggesting that a donation of $135 would provide a pass for one of these individuals for 6 months. WOULD YOU CONSIDER SPONSORING 6 MONTHS OF RIDES FOR THOSE NEEDING RIDES TO WORK, DOCTORS, SERVICES, ETC?
Please consider these needs as we feed the homeless:
- Non-perishable food items
- Plastic forks & spoons (sturdy, please)
- 8-9″ Styrofoam plates
- 6 oz. Styrofoam cups
- plastic grocery bags (used OK)
- Ziplock gal. size plastic bags
- serving gloves
- toilet paper
- towel paper
- ANY hygiene items (shampoo, lotion, razors, bar soap, tooth brushes, tooth paste, sun screen, deodorant, etc.)
- gift cards
Your help will allow us to keep serving AND will provide a blessing for YOU! (Ps. 41:1-2)
DROP OFF LOCATION:
85711: Tony’s Deli, 6219 E. 22nd St. (discount on food available)
Front Line Service
- Preparing and serving hot meals at Walk in the Park Outreach events
- Sharing the Word of God at the Outreaches
- Providing music or other worship activities
- Setting up and cleaning up after the gatherings
- Preparing clothing or hygiene items for distribution (may be done in your home)
Behind the Scenes
- Share your time & resources
- PRAY – We send periodic requests via e-mail
- Get a tax benefit
- Serve on the Corporate Board
- Serve on a committee
- Be a mentor
- Research & write grants
- Do a food or hygiene drive
- Help with finance & clerical work
- Find new surplus food resources
- Pick up and store food
- Gather and/or sort clothing
READ our Covenant with Champions (Volunteers & Supporters)
We are currently making appointments with local churches and ministries in order to inform them of our Hope Center vision, Phase I, the Medical Respite Center so that they may pray about being part of it. Please let us know if YOUR church would be interested in a presentation. If you see yourself as part of this vision–as a donor, co-worker, prayer partner– or you just want more information, contact us.